Come down to the beautiful riverside to the Muir Gallery for a collection of 3 community exhibits and a very special workshop event with acclaimed Valley photographer Gordon Ross.
1. The “Trash Art Challenge” Winners display – eclectic masterpieces, junk transformed in to music making works!
3. “Elevate” CVCAC Members Show – featuring works submitted on the expansive theme of ‘elevate’
4. Workshop with Gordon Ross: 1:00 PM Shoot Better Photos
TRASH ART CHALLENGE
Art in the ear of the beholder
Music named Arts Council’s ‘Trash Art’ theme
Following years of amazingly diverse creations with themes such as function and masks, this year the subject is ‘musical’.
“This area is full of musicians and we wanted to engage their participation,” says Lori Kenney, an Arts Council member who founded the TAC and has participated every year. “The Arts Council is about all the arts, so opening up the challenge to include another art discipline should stimulate even more people to participate.”
We have slowly put together a collection of framed art and will be displaying art by 22 artists at the Elevate the Arts event on May 5th at the Muir Gallery. Artists will be present at the gallery throughout the day to meet people coming to view the art. We also have art cards and plaques using L’Arche art which we will be selling, and a few of our candles and jewellery. Learn more about L\’Arche Arts here.
Exhibition: Elevate – Muir Gallery Exhibition
(ĕl’ə-vāt’) tr.v., -vat·ed, -vat·ing, -vates.
- To move (something) to a higher place or position from a lower one; lift.
- To increase the amplitude, intensity, or volume of.
- To promote to a higher rank.
- To raise to a higher moral, cultural, or intellectual level.
- To lift the spirits of; elate.
Shoot Better Photos with Gordon Ross, 1pm, free workshop
Join Gordon Ross and model, Savannah Eanes for a one-hour workshop on portraiture at the Muir Gallery.
As in any art, there are fundamental ideas to explore (backgrounds, composition, lighting, etc…) first before you can play and find your own style.
In this workshop, you will learn some powerful techniques that you can apply to all future portraits.
The workshop will be geared toward SLR cameras, but many of the the general ideas and techniques can be extended to point and shoot cameras as well.
You will be able to view select images from the shoot online at gordonross.ca in the week following the workshop.
Images Courtesy of Gordon Ross